Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Warm Hug

One of the biggest things going on in my life right now, if not the biggest, is the fact that I’m participating in Team in Training. Team in Training is an organization that exists for the sole purpose of raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This society is amazing!

I could go on and on and on about it (trust me) but I think that Matt Hall does a really good job of explaining the impact LLS has had for people struggling with leukemia, lymphoma and other blood cancers.

Matt's Thank You Video

When I don’t want to get up at 3:30 in the morning and traipse around my neighborhood in my ridiculous reflective gear and flashing lights, straining my muscles to the point of open rebellion I think about, well Matt now, but also Lisa. Lisa is working with our team and is a five year survivor of blood cancer. She was helped by LLS and now works in an LLS clinic greeting new and (thankfully) old patients.

Can you imagine what kind of impact she has? Imagine you’ve been diagnosed with a blood cancer like Leukemia. That’s scary. No, forget scary. It’s terrifying. It’s Leukemia! All these crazy thoughts and questions are running through your mind and scaring the dickens out of you. You get sent to this cancer clinic and walking through the door you don’t know what to expect. Part of you isn’t expecting the doctor to prescribe anything other than the length of your stay of execution. Then you meet Lisa. Lisa gets you some coffee. She’s pretty. She’s sweet. She’s kind, helpful and knowledgeable but most importantly, she’s alive! Lisa is sitting there as living, walking, talking, coffee fetching proof that you CAN survive. She’s an angel embodying hope for the future, your future.

Lisa does all this just by breathing but there are other things she does that are equally as helpful. Lisa can give you practical advice. Lisa says, “Whatever question you’ve got that you think is too silly or embarrassing to ask the doctor? You can ask me.” Lisa can tell you her story. Lisa can tell you things your doctor will never properly be able to understand. Lisa is a godsend.

I absolutely believe that donating to LLS is a way to help save people’s lives. LLS funds research that has produced life saving treatments for people suffering from blood cancers, LLS funds clinics that allow patients to receive those treatments, and LLS funds patient contacts like Lisa that help give people the positive, hopeful outlook that is so important when fighting such a daunting battle.

Yep, raising money for this organization is definitely one of the biggest things going on in my life. I’m doing fundraising but also training to represent LLS in the San Diego Rock N Roll marathon on June 6th. I train five days a week and do whatever I can think of to get donations. My goal is 3,000 USD. Both the half marathon event and the fundraising goal are daunting and scary but nowhere near as daunting or scary as facing one of these diseases.

I’ve been working with my Mom-in-law on fundraising ideas. One of them is the Warm Hug. A Warm Hug is a long rice sock divided into sections with a handle on either end. You place the hug into a microwave for a minute, turn it and then do another minute. It comes out fragrant and deliciously warm. You can then drape it around your neck, over a sore joint (it’s especially good for applying heat to those tricky ankles) but my favorite is holding it by the handles slung snug against the small of your back. It’s an absolute must have for the pregnant woman.

My Mom-in-law has done most of the work but I have done my part as well. This morning I’ve sold five, possibly six at $15 per Hug. I like the fact that people who are making donations to this awesome organization get to feel a nice warm feeling over and over again.

If you would like to contribute to my fundraising efforts please, please do! Here’s a link to my personal fundraising website with team in training. After donating you can check back in to see my progress via updates I will be posting to the site.

My Fundraising Page

If any of you donate $25 or more, please send me your address because I’d really like to send you a warm hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment