Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why I hope Adam Lambert isn’t gay

Okay, I know how that sounds. Hear me out.

Or, er, read me out. (Why does that sound dirty?)

Lemme try again.

Please withhold judgment.

Whew, correct verbiage and yet not lending itself to sexual innuendo. Finally, let’s move on.

If he is gay, then there are only two reasons of which I can think that he’d not have just said so by now.

1) The American Idol people have forbidden him to do so. In which case, I’d still have to wish he’d do it anyway and then just sue them if they try to punish him for doing so.
2) The saddest reason of all: He doesn’t want to turn away potential votes by confirming the rumor.

That would indeed be sad. I could definitely understand either of those reasons but it wouldn’t inspire me.

On the other hand, if he’s straight, he could unfortunately (due to the intolerance and hate mongering of many) ensure more votes by dispelling any ambiguity and flat out saying, “I’m not gay.”

Why wouldn’t he do that? Maybe because Adam Lambert is a really cool guy who doesn’t want to justify the boxes in which people place each other. Maybe Adam Lambert finds this need to go absolutely nuts over sexual preference as infuriating as I do and flat out refuses to play that game.

If he’s gay, fine. He’s a great singer and performer and I wish him the best.

If he’s not gay, my opinion is he’s a great person who is standing up to the insanity that is gripping our world and saying, “Nope, not gonna play. You can think what you wanna think.”

That’s something I can respect and, dare I say, idolize? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment