Monday, December 21, 2009

She Came Bearing Gifts

Friday the social worker came for a visit and she came bearing gifts, just not for Jonathan. When I was a kid this happened all the time. My parents adopted kids and had foster kids as well. Christmas holidays, some organization or another would donate toys and such to the foster kids but this didn't extend to we biological children. There was also the fact that a couple of my foster siblings got presents from biological parents or extended family like grandparents. So, every year, my siblings got more presents than I did.

(One exception was this great Christmas where a church in town not only gave presents to all the kids in the family instead of just foster kids, but asked about our interests first and tailored the gifts to those interests and our ages. I said I was interested in drawing and got an incredible artistic package with pad, pencils, and even a pen and ink set. It was fantastic and still one of my all time favorite Christmas presents.)

But presents shouldn’t matter, right? What does it really matter that my siblings often got more presents than I did? Answer: I was a kid. It matters to kids…a lot. I think kids (in America at least) often see presents as a measure of their own value and worth. I blame Santa. In my opinion, the myth of Santa Clause really enforces this idea. Santa gives gifts to good children and neglects naughty children. Thus, the more presents you receive the more worthy you are of receiving them.

After I had de-boxed Emmy’s very nice gifts (No small feat, btw. Those suckers were practically welded in place), Emmy took them upstairs and started playing with them…in front of Jonathan. As the social worker was leaving, Jonathan came downstairs and in a curious but also clearly hurt 3 year-old voice asked, “Why you didn’t bring me any presents?”

This broke my heart. My husband and I tried to fix the situation as best as we could. Hubby pulled out a couple presents that had yet to be placed under the tree and we gifted them to Jonathan early. Unfortunately, my son is very thoughtful and not easily distracted. After he had opened his presents, which he absolutely adored, he came and sat quietly on my lap for a bit.

He asked, “Mommy. Why do more people love Emmy than me?”

That was how he interpreted the situation and I’ve got to say, from his perspective, it makes sense. All the people in his life who love him; me, my husband, our parents, friends and relatives, they have all opened their hearts and homes to Emmy. They have welcomed her and done their best to make her feel loved and at home.

Conversely, Jonathan was dragged along on monthly trips to Louisiana so that Emmy could visit with my sister, who barely acknowledged Jonathan’s presence, and Emmy’s former foster parents who also made no secret of the fact that they were interested in Emmy and not Jonathan.

Jonathan is three. The people with whom he comes into contact are his entire world. So, part of the world loves both him and Emmy but part of the world loves only Emmy. His little mind is trying to figure it out. So am I...still.

I was much older when my parents adopted but still remember sometimes feeling second place in a lot of people’s esteem, even my parents’. They’re such good people and such worry warts that the very last thing I would want is for them to find out about those feelings. You can’t help but feel strange and irrational things sometimes, especially as a child.

Unfortunately, irrational feelings hurt just as much as the rational ones. As my parents attended special meetings for my new siblings or took them to various visits and appointments there was a feeling that all our lives were built around them and what they needed. Since my biological sister and I needed less attention, we got it. It was hard sometimes to go to these places and visit with these people who cared for my siblings and not at all for us and not feel somehow unworthy.

I see this happening with Emmy and Jonathan. Emmy misbehaves in the strange incomprehensible ways only a child who has been deeply scarred can. She pushes boundaries regularly and creates chaos and disorder that Jonathan often finds baffling.

I try my best to give him attention for the good things he does. I try to reward them equally for good behavior and punish them equally as well. I try to make it so they receive the same amount of attention for good and bad behavior, just different sorts.

I can’t do anything about the fact that Emmy has more people in her life that care about her than Jonathan does. And I can’t do anything about the fact that Jonathan is aware of this. It’s not a thing I can figure out.

That’s one of the most baffling things about our lives. I watch Jonathan struggle with the same things with which I struggled as a child. I’ve had decades to figure it out and yet I still don’t have an answer to that question he asked. I understand now that the perspective of a child is warped and that the feelings of being second rate when compared to your seemingly more special siblings are invalid. However, I've no idea how to stop my child from feeling them or even really what to say. Even so, I have to say something, right?

So, what did I say?

I said, “Jonathan, who loves you?”

“Mommy.”

“How much does Mommy love you?”

“More than any little boy in the whole wide world.”

“Does it make you happy that Mommy loves you so much?”

(nods)

“It doesn’t matter how many people love you, Sweetie. It matters how much the people who love you, love you and the people who love you, love you as much as anybody can love anybody. Okay?”

(sigh)

“Okay. I love you, too, Mommy.”

(hugs)

No comments:

Post a Comment